Join poet, writer and educator Dasan Ahanu and the Black On Black Project for a Spoken Word performance Thursday, May 10 at 7 p.m. inside Artspace in downtown Raleigh. The program will be a response to artfor(us), the latest art exhibition from Sherrill Roland. Best known for his Jumpsuit Project, in which Roland enters museum and gallery spaces in his former prison jumpsuit, this work represents a departure into object-based art making. Roland collages and paints issues of Art Forum magazine that he collected while wrongfully incarcerated, exposing the disparities in the fine art world and the American prison system. The event is free and open to the public, but click here to register.
- Re-evaluating the Cost and Consequences of Cops in Schools
- Watch Now: The Impact of Incarceration on Communities, Families, and Children
- Surry and Stokes County Judges Prohibit Masks with “Emblems” and Emancipate NC Fights Back
- Emancipate NC’s Kerwin Pittman Appears on UNC TV’s Black Issues Forum to Discuss Defunding the Police
- New Billboards Affirm Black Lives in Harnett County