Emancipate NC is excited to bring you a highly-demanded Continuing Legal Education (CLE) seminar to kick off the new year. Sliding scale for attorneys and free for students!
Join us on Friday, January 20, 2023, from 9:30am – 4:00pm for Lawyering in Service of Social Change.
This day full of learning and community building will feature five panels bringing together different topics of legal work in service of social movements. We are grateful to announce an impressive set of panelists throughout the day, comprising experienced attorneys, clients, and movement organizers. The panels will include:
- Protest Defense Strategies. Join Scott Holmes and Amelia O’Rourke-Owens to learn best practices for defending protesters against criminal charges. Hear from Dedan Waciuri, who has been acquitted twice of charges related to First Amendment activity.
- Trauma-Informed Lawyering: Taking Care of Your Client and Yourself (Substance Abuse/Mental Health credit). Cierra Cobb, Amily McCool, and Nisha Williams, will share about how to acknowledge and hold space for the impact of traumatic events and the trauma of the courtroom.
- Movement Lawyering Practicum. Hear from Laura Holland, Quisha Mallette, and other panelists in a discussion on mass criminal justice debt relief and how attorneys can follow the leadership of movement organizers and impacted people.
- Unconventional Methods to Get Things Done. Whitley Carpenter, Ian Mance, and Elizabeth Simpson offer ideas about creative strategies to find some measure of justice in the legal system, when it seems like there is no path forward.
- Client Perspectives on Effective Attorney Relationships (Ethics credit). Dawn Blagrove will facilitate a panel from people who have experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly when facing serious legal cases, including Kerwin Pittman, and a surprise incarcerated virtual guest. This talk will link to key professional rules about the client-lawyer relationship, including allocation of authority, diligence, communication, and more.
We’re looking forward to having you join us!